Wednesday 17 April 2013

Interning: Day 01

I've never really spoken about what I do at university or anything of the sort on here before, but I thought now would be as good a time as any. I'm a second year student studying Marketing, and worrying about finding a job at the end of it all. Will it be worth it? Will there be anything for me or will I be stuck with my part time job forever!? Worrying aside, whilst it's not compulsory for me to do a placement of any sort as part of my course, I thought that doing so will potentially increase my chances of getting hired at the end of my degree; it's something I can put on my CV and I will have experience, taking pressure off any potential employers who wouldn't have to put me through as much training depending on what it is I eventually end up doing!

After month's of searching with no luck, I finally came across a vacancy not so far from home. After applying and eventually being interviewed, I got the place! And so now I am a Marketing Trainee at the lovely Bri-Tek Technologies, an LED lighting company determined to reduce our carbon footprint by replacing ordinary bulbs with more efficient, energy saving ones. Whilst it wasn't the kind of company I originally saw myself working for (a girl who loves all things fashion and beauty in a warehouse based business!?) I'm really surprised how well I fit and how excited I was to start. Anyway, enough rambling, I'll get to it!

My little work space! (Taken on mobile, sorry for the terrible quality!)
Today was my first day, and I was super nervous to start. My incredible Grandad drove me there as I was worried about getting lost on the buses (trust me, it'd  happen) and I didn't have access to the car! After meeting up with the lovely Zack who interviewed me and who I'll be working with, as well as having a mini tour of my new workplace, I was straight to work!

The picture above shows my lovely little work space (the picture totally doesn't do it any justice), complete with a Mac and music playing to boot! Super exciting. The morning consisted of me researching the latest trends that we could relate to the company, and potential ideas for articles for our blog page over on the website, which at first was a little tedious trying to find the right kind of data, but once I got going there was no stopping me, I was completely into it. 

After being to treated to lunch (ohhhh the perks of being the new girl!) it was back to work, this time I got to actually write an article that would be featured on the page, something I didn't anticipate so early on! With a little read through from Zack and being taught how to put it online (very complicated, damn you html) my article was actually posted on the website! Call me a loser, but I was super excited about this. If you're interested, you can read it here! Mine is the top one :)

I think I've rambled on enough, but I enjoyed today so much that I thought I would share it with you lovelies! I'm back in for day #2 on Friday!

Have any of you ever interned? What was your experience like? Would you like to hear more about my internship and experience? Don't worry, I won't be documenting everything, only the interesting bits!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...